Dr. Ambedkar Medical Aid Scheme (Revised – 2009)
The scheme is meant to provide medical treatment facility to the patients suffering from serious ailments requiring surgery of Kidney, Heart, Liver, Cancer and Brain or any other life threatening diseases including Knee surgery and Spinal surgery
to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe persons whose annual family income is less than Rs.1,00,000/- p.a. and will be implemented through the following Hospitals :
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Patna Medical College Hospital, Patna, Bihar.
- Jabalpur Hospital and Research Centre, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- B. Barua Cancer Institute, Guwahati, Assam.
- Birla Heart Foundation, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Kalinga Hospital Ltd. Chandrashekharpur, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Tata Cancer Research Institute, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Voluntary Health Services, Chennai.
- All CGHS approved Hospitals as revised from time to time by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- All State Government Medical Colleges attached Hospitals even if not included under CGHS Scheme.
- All State Hospitals.
- All Hospitals recognized by State Government.
- All Hospitals fully funded by either the Central Government or the State Governments.
- All Government Hospitals in District Headquarters/ major towns where surgery or treatment facility for Kidney, Heart, Liver Cancer and Brain or any other life threatening disease including knee surgery and spinal surgery is available.
- In exceptional cases where the Chairperson is personally convinced of the genuineness and justification for the need to cover any Hospital outside the approved list, can be approached for eligible treatment.
- The applicant shall belong to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe Community.
- Annual family income shall not exceed Rs. 1,00,000/- per annum.
- Those who are suffering from major ailments which need surgery such as kidney, heart, liver, cancer, brain or any other life threatening disease including knee surgery and spinal surgery.
How To Apply
The applicant shall apply for medical aid in the prescribed application form, duly certified by the Medical Superintendent of the concerned Hospital. The application format is given overleaf. The application must be submitted along with the caste certificate,
income certificate, ration card and estimated cost of the treatment duly certified by the Medical Superintendent of the Hospital.
The application shall be recommended and forwarded by the local sitting Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha) or by the District Magistrate & Collector / Deputy Commissioner of the concerned District or the Secretary in-charge of Health & Social Welfare
Departments of the State/UT. The duly filled in form should reach the Director, Dr. Ambedkar Foundation, 15, Janpath, New Delhi, at least 15 days before the date of surgery. All the applications received will be processed in Dr. Ambedkar Foundation.
75% of the estimated cost of the treatment will be directly released to the concerned Hospital, with a maximum ceiling limit of Rs. 1,00,000/- in each case, in the form of a crossed cheque / DD. The 50% of the total admissible medical aid will be paid, in
advance, directly to the Hospital before surgery as first installment. The remaining 50% amount will be released to the concerned Hospital after the surgery, on submission of the final bills duly certified by the Medical Superintendent of the said Hospital.
Further, Medical aid from the Foundation and other sources should not exceed the total estimated cost of the treatment. A certificate in this regard should be obtained from the Medical Superintendent of the concerned Hospital. The Estimated Cost certificate
to be submitted along with the application should contain the date fixed for the surgical operation.
The Application Form should be accompanied with the following documents /certificates (Check-list)
- Original Estimated Cost certificate duly signed by the Medical Superintendent of the concerned hospital.
- Original or attested photocopies of the income certificate, caste certificate and the ration card of the patient.
- The application should be recommended and forwarded either by a local sitting Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha) or by the District Magistrate & Collectors / Deputy Commissioner of the concerned District or the Secretary in-charge of Health
& Social Welfare Departments of State/UT.
- Medical aid from the Foundation and other sources should not exceed the total estimated cost of the treatment. A certificate in this regard should be obtained from the Medical Superintendent of the concerned Hospital.
- The Estimated Cost Certificate, accompanied with the application, should contain the date fixed for the surgical operation as far as possible.
- An attested photograph of the patients should be affixed on the Application Form
Download Application form for Medical Aid under Dr. Ambedkar Medical Aid Scheme